5153 Old Post Road, Rt. 1,
Book Your Holiday Party or Special Event Now!
This house, built about 1730, was the birthplace of Gen. Joseph Stanton, who was a member of the Colonial Congress and later, Senator from this State to the First Constitutional Congress. He owned a "lordship in Charlestown" and kept "forty horses and as many Slaves."
Records tell us that this land was acquired from the Indians in 1655. The Manesses Indians from Block Island came to the mainland, attacked the Niantics who occupied Weekapaug, and carried away an Indian princess as hostage. They demanded such a high ransom that the Niantics, unable to gather together sufficient wampum, appealed to Thomas Stanton, celebrated Indian interpreter, who kept a "trading-house" near Westerly on the Pawcatuck River. In return for the help he gave them he was deeded a large tract of land in Charlestown which became the Stanton estate.
At the death of Gen. Joseph Stanton the estate was divided, this part passing into the hands of the Wilcox Family. Here Lieutenant-Governor Edward Wilcox made his home and apparently certain minor changes were made in the house at that time. About 1850 a member of that family established an inn or tavern here which suggests the name "Old Wilcox Tavern". When the former owner purchased the property there was a porch across the front of the house which has been removed revealing the original "drip-stones", and much has been done to restore the house and grounds to their former simplicity and beauty.